Chicken broccoli and rice is a complete meal deal that comes together in minutes in the Instant Pot!
Chicken and broccoli are cooked to juicy perfection along with a creamy and cheesy sauce made from broth, cheese, and milk. Add some white rice and this meal is turned into a comforting, filling, and hearty dish that the whole family will enjoy.
Easy Instant Pot Meal!
- Cook this creamy comfort entrée with ingredients that are likely already in the fridge and pantry! Perfect for those busy weeknights!
- Chicken broccoli and rice is a quick and easy main dish that satisfies even the heartiest eaters! Plus, it’s even better as leftovers as the flavors blend even more!
- Use up those leftover veggies in the fridge or freezer in this family-friendly recipe!
Ingredients and Variations
CHICKEN: Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are the healthy choice for this recipe because they have fewer calories than beef. Chicken thighs can be used and served in individual portions, especially for a ‘company’s coming’ main dish.
VEGETABLES: Broccoli is always a favorite with chicken, rice, and cheddar cheese! Choose firm, fresh heads of broccoli and trim away the excess stem and use in stir-fries. Mushrooms, cauliflower, or small, thinly sliced baker potatoes make this dish different every time!
RICE: Long-grain white rice is an excellent filler that quickly absorbs the flavors of the sauce. Instant brown rice or wild rice pilaf will add color to this dish. Small white beans like cannellini beans can be used for a thicker, more casserole-style dish.
SAUCE: Milk added to the cooked chicken, broccoli, and broth makes a nice, smooth sauce. For a more velvety, rich sauce use half and half or heavy cream.
How to Make Chicken Broccoli and Rice in the Instant Pot
- Saute chicken in onion in the Instant Pot.
- Add some broth and scrape the bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add remaining broth, rice, and seasonings, without stirring, and cook (as per the recipe below).
- Quickly stir in the broccoli and warmed milk.
- Seal the lid and let rest.
- Stir in the cheddar cheese until melted and add more warmed milk, if needed.
Tips & Tricks
Cut the broccoli into bite-sized pieces so it cooks faster and there’s a little bit in every bite! Be sure to scrape the bottom of the pot to avoid getting a burn notice, plus, those little bits are super flavorful! It’s important to layer the ingredients as directed in the recipe to ensure everything cooks in the right order. If the rice seems undercooked, simply cover it and let it rest for another 5 minutes or so. Top with French-fried onions or a sprinkle of shredded cheddar cheese.
How To Serve and Store!
Since Instant Pot chicken broccoli and rice is an entire meal on its own, keep the sides simple! Offer a simple green salad, and some breadsticks or slices of garlic bread to soak up all that cheesy sauce!
Keep leftover Instant Pot chicken and broccoli rice in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat on the stovetop before serving. Or convert it into chicken, broccoli, and cheese soup.
More Easy Recipes!
- Instant Pot Vegetable Fried Rice – quick and easy
- Instant Pot Chipotle Chicken and Rice – loaded with flavor
- Chicken Vegetable Stir Fry – a favorite
- Instant Pot Chicken Alfredo delish!
Instant Pot Chicken Broccoli and Rice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into cubes
- 1 small onion
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup milk warmed, more if needed
- 2 cups fresh broccoli cut into small pieces
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Turn Instant Pot onto saute. Add oil and heat until hot. Add the chicken and onion. Cook until the onion begins to soften, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add ½ cup of the broth and use a spatula to scrape up all of the brown bits in the bottom of the pan. Spread the chicken across the bottom of the instant pot. Add rice, broth, and seasonings, and do not stir.
- Cook on manual high pressure for 5 minutes. When the timer is up let the mixture naturally release for 5 minutes.
- Release any remaining pressure, open the lid and quickly stir in the broccoli and warmed milk. Close the lid and let rest an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese until well combined, adding more warmed milk if needed. Serve immediately.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©I Don’t Have Time For That. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.