Seriously, I love Thin Mints almost as much as Leo loves Trefoils!
I am a total sucker for Girl Scout Cookies! I always stop and by a few boxes because for one, they are the most delicious things ever and two, they support a really great cause. Girl Scout or not, these cupcakes are going to steal your heart!
These Thin Mint Cupcakes are rich chocolate cupcakes smothered with chocolate ganache, topped with minty frosting, with Thin Mints as the main star! A little known fact about chocolate ganache and cake, it helps seal in the moisture of the cake making these great for parties where you know they will be exposed for a while.
Also, if you are a stickler about the cupcake liner keeping their color with dark cupcakes, try using these silicone liners but make sure you spray them with a little cooking spray. You can also find some really cute stuff over at Bake It Pretty!
Weather you are a mint lover or a cookie lover, these cupcakes are sure to be a true hit!
Girl Scout Thin Mint Cupcakes
- baking pan
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cup flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- ⅔ cup chocolate chips
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line pan with cupcake liners
- In a large bowl, whisk sugar, eggs, brown sugar, vanilla extract and oil together.
- In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients. Flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Pour in half of these dry ingredients into the oil mixture and stir.
- Add milk and gently stir again, adding the rest of the dry ingredients. Be careful not to over mix.
- Fill cupcake liners half full and bake for 15-20 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow to fully cool.
- Start making the gonache by adding chocolate chips and whipping cream in a small bowl and microwave for 40 seconds. Remove and stir and continue to microwave until smooth.
- Dip cooled cupcakes into the gonache and turn right side up to allow gonache to set.
- Using your vanilla frosting or favorite homemade frosting recipe, adding small amounts of green food coloring until you have reached your desired color.
- Pipe frosting onto your cupcakes and top with Thin Mints! I also crushed up a few and scattered them over the top for more yummy deliciousness!