Ditch the can and make Instant Pot Sloppy Joes part of your weeknight rotation! It’s fast, easy, and doesn’t disappoint!
Check out how easy these Instant Pot Sloppy Joes are to make!
Sloppy Joes are a long time family favorite around here. I mean it took my son a little while to really get into them at first. He was kind of like the kid who thought he was getting served poo on a bun (see hilarious YouTube Video presentation below), but now he eats them by the dozen.
Now, you may be asking why in the world I would show you that video or even mention Sloppy Joes and poo in the same sentence, but lets be real here, Sloppy Joes don’t really look all that appetizing. Despite looks, Sloppy Joes are amazing and truly a moms best friend. They take only a few minutes to throw together and tend to be one of the easiest weeknight meals you can make.
In my house, dinner is usually a real struggle. I can never seem to make everyone happy all at the same time. So, when I find a meal (like Instant Pot Sloppy Joes) that wins my family over, I tend to make it often.
For years I only used the canned stuff to make Sloppy Joes. But, because we are difficult, my family only likes one specific kind of Sloppy Joe mix that my local store now no longer carries (of course). Instead of driving for 10 extra minutes to grab a single can for dinner, I decided enough was enough.
After my five minute debate in the car about if it was REALLY that far of a drive to the other store, I took it upon myself and made my very own version of Sloppy Joes (in the Instant Pot because who has time to cook on the stove)! To my amazement it came out MUCH better than the can stuff we normally eat! I felt such accomplishment after my triumph. I though that those cans held the most secret ingredients, but now I know they have nothing on me!
The real question though was would my family eat it. So, I did what any normal mom would do and didn’t say a single thing about changing up traditional Sloppy Joe night. I just sat patiently and waited for the the reactions. Next thing I knew, my husband says to me “These taste better then normal, did you do something different?” as he stuffed another bite in. I must have been grinning from ear to ear because his next question to me was what did you do!
All in all, Instant Pot Sloppy Joes are on of the easiest weeknight meals you can throw together! Trust me when I tell you you don’t need the can! You can make your own!
- You can use frozen meat (like in my instruction pictures), but you will need to cook for 7 minutes on manual then quick release to break it up, then put it back on for another 7 minutes to finish cooking. If you don’t do this you will end up with a big meatloaf cooked in Sloppy Joe sauce.
- Just look at the ingredients like a guide. Measurements in this are not make or break. Don’t like something take it out, want to add something, do it. This is a really simple recipe.
- You can make a big batch of this and freeze it in small portions. It freezes well and warms up nicely!
Instant Pot Sloppy Joes
Turn Instant Pot on to satue. In a small bowl mix togther, ketchup, brown sugar, tomato paste, mustard, chili powder, vinegar, and Worcestershire then set aside.
When Instant Pot is hot, add in hamburger and garlic.Cook until meat starts to brown then drain fat.
Add meat back into the pot. Add celery, peppers, and onion. Cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Turn Instant Pot off and add ketchup mixture.
Cook on manual high pressure for 7 minutes. Quick release when the timer is up.
In a small bowl, mix together water and corn starch. Turn Instant Pot back onto satue and add corn starch mixture. Cook for 1-2 minutes until sauce becomes thick.
Instant Pot Sloppy Joes
- 6 qt Instant Pot
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ large onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- ½ cup beef broth
- ½ cup ketchup
- ⅔ cup chopped green bell pepper
- ½ cup celery chopped
- 2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp prepared mustard
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tbsp chili powder
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Turn Instant Pot on to saute. In a small bowl mix together, ketchup, brown sugar, tomato paste, mustard, vinegar, chili powder, and Worcestershire then set aside.
- When Instant Pot is hot, add in hamburger and garlic.
- Cook until meat starts to brown then drain fat.
- Add meat back into the pot. Add celery, peppers, and onion. Cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Turn Instant Pot off and add ketchup mixture and beef broth.
- Cook on manual high pressure for 7 minutes. Quick release when the timer is up.
- In a small bowl, mix together water and corn starch.
- Turn Instant Pot back onto saute and add corn starch mixture. Cook for 1-2 minutes until sauce becomes thick.
- Give everything a nice stir then serve on buns.
If you are looking for a more Asian inspired dish, check out these Instant Pot Thai Chicken Rice Bowls from Wondermom Wannabe! They are amazing!