Busy weeknights and even busier weekends call for these easy, hearty Instant Pot Sloppy Joes!
Forget the cans of Manwich; make your own using seasoned ground beef with tasty veggies cooked in a zesty tomato sauce!
Easy Instant Pot Sloppy Joes
- Sloppy joes are timeless, crowd-pleasing loose meat sandwiches made easy in the Instant Pot.
- ‘Tidy Josephs’ are a kid-friendly variation with filling inside hollowed-out dinner rolls (which means less mess!)
- Use up leftovers for sloppy joes like meat & veggies, then adjust seasonings to taste.
- They are a budget-friendly recipe, great for freezing and adding to spaghetti sauce or chili.
Ingredients and Variations
Meat – Fresh or frozen ground beef can be used (for frozen, add a few minutes to Step 2). Other combinations can include ground beef and sausage, or ground chicken and turkey. For a meatless meal, use a can of drained black beans or lentils.
Sauce – Use condiments that are likely already in the pantry and increase the chili powder to add more spice, if desired. Brown sugar can be switched out for any sugar-free sweetener by referring to the package conversions. Low-sodium broth and sugar-free ketchup will make sloppy joes a little healthier without sacrificing flavor!
Vegetables – Besides bell peppers and celery, this is a great recipe for using up leftover veggies or sneaking in healthy veggies the kids won’t notice like shredded zucchini and carrots, diced sweet potatoes, or even chopped kale.
How to Make Instant Pot Sloppy Joes
- Prepare the sauce (as directed in the recipe below) and set aside.
- Saute ground beef and garlic and drain the fat. Add celery, peppers, and onion.
- Add sauce mixture and beef broth and cook on high pressure for 7 minutes.
- Whisk water and cornstarch together, add to the Instant Pot, & cook until the sauce is thick.
- Stir and serve on buns.
What Goes with Sloppy Joes?
Serve versatile sloppy joes on toasted hamburger buns, open-faced on garlic cheese toast, or scoop some onto a bed of greens for a low-carb, high-protein salad! Add some sweet potato fries and a crispy green salad, and dinner is ready!
Leftover Sloppy Joe Meat
Keep leftover sloppy joe meat in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat portions in the microwave or on the stovetop. Freeze in zippered bags for up to a month and thaw overnight in the refrigerator until ready to reheat.
Instant Pot Sloppy Joes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion finely diced
- ½ green bell pepper finely diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 can condensed tomato soup 10.75 oz
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Turn Instant Pot on to saute. Heat the olive oil and add in onion and green pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes until starting to soften.
- Add in ground beef and cook until brown, breaking it down while it cooks. Turn off the instant pot and drain any fat from the meat.
- In a small bowl stir together the tomato soup and all the remaining ingredients.
- Pour the soup mixture over top of the beef. Do not stir.
- Cook on manual high pressure for 5 minutes. Quick release when the timer is up.
- Give everything a stir and serve on buns.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©I Don’t Have Time For That. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
REPIN this Instant Pot Sloppy Joes Recipe