Instant Pot goulash is classic comfort food!
This recipe is made with ground beef simmered with tender elbow noodles in a richly seasoned tomato sauce. It’s filling and flavorful and everyone loves it! And the best part is that it’s so easy to cook, making it perfect for a weeknight or a last-minute gathering. Why not try it for dinner tonight?
Easy Goulash Recipe!
- The Instant Pot is the ideal appliance for one-pot cooking and goulash is one of the best recipes to make because it’s on the table in less than 15 minutes from start to finish.
- An entire meal in a bowl, goulash can be bulked up with leftover veggies from the fridge!
- Chilly nights mean that it’s time to get stews, chilis, and soups on the dinner rotation. Goulash in the Instant Pot is a convenient and easy way to feed the family on those busy weeknights!
Ingredients and Variations
BEEF: Ground beef is an affordable protein that’s easy to cook in the Instant Pot. Or use up any leftover meat! Beef stew meat is used in German and Hungarian goulash, but could work here, too!
SAUCE: Canned tomato sauce and diced tomatoes create a thick sauce. A jar of marinara will add more flavor and for a soup-like consistency, increase the water up to 2 cups.
SEASONINGS: Basic American-style goulash only needs garlic, salt, and pepper, a few bay leaves, and some Italian seasoning. Soy sauce or tamari can replace the Worcestershire sauce, if necessary.
NOODLES: Large elbow macaroni hold up best in this goulash recipe. Rice, wide egg noodles, or mashed potatoes can be made separately and used in place of elbow macaroni.
How to Make Instant Pot Goulash
- Set the Instant Pot to saute and cook the beef, onion, garlic, and salt and pepper.
- Drain the fat from the beef and add tomato ingredients, Italian seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, water, noodles, and bay leaves (as per recipe below).
- Set the Instant Pot to manual for 3 minutes and then allow a natural release.
- Remove bay leaves and top with parmesan cheese or a dollop of sour cream before serving.
Goulash Serving Suggestions
Because goulash is so versatile, it goes with anything! Try a simple green salad, a slice or two of thick crusty bread, or some dinner rolls to soak up all that savory sauce! All versions of goulash can be served as a soup, or as a thick stew over mashed potatoes, rice, spaetzle, or even baked potatoes!
Tips & Time Savers
- Goulash freezes great for future meals! Simply pour into gallon-sized freezer bags and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator or a saucepan on low heat.
- Bulk up goulash by tossing it in a bag of frozen vegetable medley, no need to thaw!
More Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Frozen Ground Beef – Easy
- Instant Pot Mongolian Beef (Better than takeout!) – Delicious
- Instant Pot Creamy Pasta e Fagioli – Creamy
- Instant Pot Sausage and White Bean Soup – Comforting
- Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese – So cheesy
Instant Pot Goulash
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 30 ounce (2 cans) tomato sauce
- 30 ounce (2 cans) diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce or 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cups elbow noodles see notes
- 2 cups beef broth or water
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Turn the Instant Pot onto saute. When hot, add ground beef garlic, salt, pepper, and onion. Cook until meat is browned.
- When meat is browned drain fat then add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, soy sauce, water, noodles, and bay leaves. Do not stir.
- Set your Instant Pot to manual high pressure for 3 minutes.
- Once the timer has finished, quick release the pressure.
- Take out bay leaves and stir.
- Top with parmesan cheese and enjoy!
- Ensure you do not stir the mixture or you may get a burn notice.
- Layer in order of beef, liquid, pasta, and tomatoes.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©I Don’t Have Time For That. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
REPIN this Instant Pot Goulash recipe!