This Instant Pot macaroni and cheese is so easy and delicious!
Get Insta-worthy mac and cheese in minutes in the Instant Pot! Tender elbow macaroni is cooked with four different kinds of robust cheeses and a handful of seasonings to make a fast and flavorful new favorite!
Easy Instant Pot Mac & Cheese!
- This recipe is so quick and easy to make, it takes less time than a box of processed Kraft and tastes way better! No need to boil water on the stove and hope the pasta is cooked properly or constantly stir the ingredients in just right. The Instant Pot makes delicious mac and cheese in only three steps!
- Family-friendly mac and cheese is also a crowd-pleasing favorite and is perfect for potlucks and parties! Simply cook and serve it straight from the Instant Pot.
- Budget-friendly and flavorful, mac and cheese is the perfect meal to serve at sleepovers, birthday parties, and game nights!
Ingredients & Variations
Macaroni – Small elbow macaroni is the perfect pasta size, but small ziti, penne, or macaroni shells are good. Just remember different noodles will cook at different rates.
Cheese Sauce – This recipe is all about the creamy cheese sauce! The cheeses listed in this recipe are a little more grown-up than the average mac and cheese recipe, but the flavor payoff is so worth it! Change the amounts or use other cheeses like mozzarella, Monterey jack, or a Mexican cheese blend and in a pinch, small cubes of Velveeta can be used in place of some or all of the cheddar cheese. For best results, use whole milk or heavy cream for the creamiest sauce.
Variations – Nearly anything can be added to Instant Pot macaroni and cheese! Sneak in some veggies like broccoli, or peas and carrots for those picky eaters. Protein options could include diced ham, bacon bits, shredded chicken, or slices of summer sausage or kielbasa.
How to Make Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese
It doesn’t get easier than this!
- Cook macaroni in salted water in the Instant Pot.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and stir until the cheese is fully melted.
- Season and serve.
Storing & Reheating
- Keep leftover Instant pot macaroni and cheese in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat in the Instant Pot or in the microwave.
- Serve with a crisp salad and some homemade bread!
More Pasta Recipes
Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese
- 16 ounces elbow macaroni (1 box)
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sharp cheddar shredded
- 1 cup gruyere shredded
- ½ cup gouda shredded
- ½ cup fontina shredded
- ½ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Add the uncooked macaroni, water, and salt to the Instant Pot. Attach the lid and ensure that valve is in the “sealing” position.
- Set the timer for 4 minutes. When the timer finishes, release the pressure manually by switching the valve to the “venting” position. Be careful, the valve will steam and may splatter!
- Next, add the cheese, milk, garlic powder, and nutmeg. Switch the Instant Pot to the Saute-Normal function and stir until the cheeses have fully melted. Season with additional salt and pepper, as needed.
- Serve immediately. Store any leftover mac and cheese in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©I Don’t Have Time For That. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
REPIN This Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese Recipe