Say hello to soup season with a creamy, cheesy, and filling soup perfect for a cold night! Instant Pot Philly Cheese Steak Soup provides all of the deliciousness of Philly Cheese Steaks, only in soup form!
Check out just how easy it is to make this Instant Pot Philly Cheese Steak Soup
It’s getting cold here in upstate New York which means it’s the perfect time for soup! Traditionally, my husband always gives me a big sigh when I tell him we are having soup for dinner. He thinks soup is not a “dinner food” and that he won’t be full when he’s done eating it.
Well, I threw down the gauntlet on that. For dinner last night, I filled up a bowl with hearty Instant Pot Philly Cheese Steak Soup, handed him a chunk of crusty bread, and watched him go to town! He did go back for seconds, but it’s not because he was still starving. It was because he absolutely loved the soup and left the table feeling very satisfied. That is what I like to call “winning at dinner”.
If you have a soup naysayer, you have got to give this recipe a try! Plus, being able to cook everything right in the Instant Pot makes dinner prep/cooking a breeze! I don’t even know how I survived for so long without my Instant Pot!
If you are new here, you should know that I am very thrifty when it comes to dinner. Who can afford not to be nowadays?! I made Instant Pot Philly Cheese Steak Soup this week because the high end roast beef I like to buy was on a killer sale. I also substituted the traditional Provolone cheese on Philly Cheese Steaks for Monterey Jack cheese. That’s because a block of provolone cheese at my store was over $11 (or more than the whole pound of roast beef)! If it happens to be cheaper in your store feel free to use that instead. Nothing is set in stone around here. All of my recipes can be used as only a guide if you choose to.
If you love Philly Cheese Steaks and soup, you are going to love this Instant Pot Philly Cheese Steak Soup! It’s the perfect way to end a cold day!
Instant Pot Philly Cheese Steak Soup
Turn your Instant Pot on to saute and add butter. When Butter is melted, add garlic, green peppers, and onions. Cook until the onions start to become translucent (about 3-5 minutes).
Add mushrooms and cook for another minute. Click the off button on the Instant Pot.
Add roast beef, beef stock, and seasonings.
Place lid on Instant Pot and cook on manual high pressure for 10 minutes. When timer is up, allow for a 10 minute natural pressure release. After 10 minutes, release all of the remaining pressure.
Turn Instant Pot on to saute and stir in the milk/flour mixture. Cook on saute until soup starts to thicken (about 3-5 minutes).
When soup is thick, add cheese and stir until well combined.
Serve with crusty bread and enjoy!
Instant Pot Philly Cheese Steak Soup
- 3 cups beef stock
- 2 cups milk
- 1 lb roast beef cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 medium sized green peppers diced
- 1 medium sized sweet onion diced
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ cup flour
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 ½ cups monterey jack cheese
- Turn your Instant Pot on to saute and add butter. When Butter is melted, add garlic, green peppers, and onions. Cook until the onions start to become translucent (about 3-5 minutes).
- Add mushrooms and cook for another minute. Click the off button on the Instant Pot.
- Add roast beef, beef stock, and seasonings.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and cook on manual high pressure for 10 minutes. When timer is up, allow for a 10 minute natural pressure release. After 10 minutes, release all of the remaining pressure.
- Turn Instant Pot on to saute and stir in the milk/flour mixture. Cook on saute until soup starts to thicken (about 3-5 minutes). When soup is thick, add cheese and stir until well combined.
- Serve with crusty bread and enjoy!
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©I Don't Have Time For That. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
A few tips
- Due to the cheese in this soup, it doesn’t freeze that well. If you are picky about texture (like me), you will notice when you freeze this soup the texture never goes back to being creamy soup. It gets gritty.
- You can use sandwich steak (like Steak’umms) if you prefer. It does get greasier if you do though!
- You can add any blend of cheese that you prefer. Mix things up by adding Swiss and Provolone. You can even add American if that’s what you like.
- I always buy my cheese in blocks and hand shred them. I just feel like they melt better in meals like this.
- If you like a lot of veggies, you can always add double what this recipe calls for and even just rough chop them without changing the taste or consistency of the soup.
Making Philly Cheese Steak Soup in the Crock Pot/slow cooker
- If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can also make Philly Cheese Steak soup in the slow cooker! Throw all of your ingredients in except the cheese/flour. Cook it on high for 5 hours.1 3/4 of an hour before the time is up, ladle out 2 cups of broth and mix the flour in. Return the mixture to the slow cooker/Crock Pot along with the cheese and cook until time is up.