Looking for something easy and homemade for dinner tonight? Check this bad boy out!
Double Crusted Chicken Pot Pie is one of those traditional family favorites around my house! Not only is it budget friendly ( I usually use left over chicken from other dinners), but everyone seems to love it! It really helps warm your soul on a cold winter night!
Despite what you may think, making a chicken pot pie doesn’t have to be a big ordeal. You can actually cook the chicken right inside of it, make your own crust ( I am totally to lazy for that and like to use the refrigerated kind), and throw in what ever kind of veggies you have on hand!
Check out how simple it can really be below!
Homemade Double Crusted Chicken Pot Pie
- large skillet
- casserole dish
- 6 boneless chicken breasts cut into 1 inches pieces
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 tbsp. butter melted
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1 ½ cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms optional
- 1 cup peeled chopped potato
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup dry white wine also can use apple juice as a substitute
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 tbsp. water
- 10 ¾ oz. can of cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup sour cream
- pie pastry
- 1 egg yolk lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp. milk
- Cook chicken and onion in butter in a large skillet over medium high heat, stirring until chicken is browned and onion is tender.
- Stir in celery and the next 8 ingredients. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Discard the bay leaf.
- Combine cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of water, stirring until smooth. Add to chicken and celery mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, stir in soup, cheese and sour cream.
- Roll half of pot pie pastry and fit into an ungreased pie pan or casserole dish. Spoon chicken mixture into the dish. Place remaining pastry over chicken mixture, trim, seal and crimp edges. Cut slits into top of pastry . Combine egg yolk and 1 tbsp. milk; brush over pastry.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 35 minutes or until golden, yielding pastry with aluminum foil.