With Cinco De Mayo fast approaching, many are preparing their menus. These Homemade Flour Tortillas are the perfect addition to your weekly meal plan or celebratory feast.
This recipe is not only delicious, fresh and homemade, but it’s also incredibly inexpensive to make. Once you have made these delicious Homemade Flour Tortillas, you won’t ever want to buy them from the store again. Perfect for tacos, or burritos, your entire family will love the fresh flavor combined with the ease of creating something wonderful. Once you create something homemade like this, store bought will just not impress you anymore.
While these are perfect for Cinco De Mayo, they are also a fantastic addition to your weekly meal rotation. Whether you are making tacos, burritos, quesadillas or more, this recipe is perfect. Combining a few simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand at home, will create a delicious tortilla that will change the way you cook.
How to Make Homemade Flour Tortillas
This tortilla recipe is an amazing addition to your recipe repertoire. All it takes is a few simple ingredients, a little preparation and a little time.
- You are going to want to use 2.5 cups of flour for this recipe, but it also a good idea to have some extra for kneading.
- Before starting this recipe you will want to ensure that you have softened your stick of butter.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cut the softened butter into the flour mixture. You can do this using a pastry cutter, but if you don’t have one you can also use a fork. You will want to achieve a crumb like texture that somewhat resembles sand.
- Add the hot water to this mixture and stir very well.
- Flour your surface and turn the dough out onto it. Knead your dough for 2-3 minutes adding little bits of extra flour as needed. The dough should be soft and less sticky after the kneading process.
- Form the dough into a ball and place it into a clean bowl. Cover your bowl with a clean kitchen towel and allow it to rest in a warm, dark environment for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Once rested, flour your surface and cut the dough into 10 uniform balls for burrito sized tortillas or 16 uniform balls for taco sized tortillas. Flatten the dough into circles with your hands and use a rolling pin to roll the dough into large circles.
- Roll the dough out as thinly as possible while still having the ability to pick it up without tearing it.
- Heat your skillet over medium high heat and cook each tortilla on each side for 30-45 seconds. You will want to cook until golden brown spots appear on each side.
- Stack the cooked tortillas on a plate as you cook to keep them warm and moist. Cover them with a clean kitchen towel to hold in the heat.
- Serve the tortillas warm with the fillings of your choice.
What Can I Make with Homemade Tortillas?
There are several delicious recipes that you can make with homemade tortillas.
- Tortilla Casseroles
Homemade Flour Tortillas Recipe
Homemade Flour Tortillas
- large mixing bowl
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour plus extra for kneading
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 stick butter softened
- 1 cup hot water
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut the softened butter into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter or fork until you have a crumb like texture similar to sand.
- Add the hot water to the mixture and stir well.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 2-3 minutes, adding just a little extra flour as needed. The dough should be soft and less sticky after kneading.
- Form the dough into a ball and place in a clean bowl. Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel and let the dough rest for 45-60 minutes.
- Cut the dough into 10 balls for burrito sized tortillas or 16 balls for taco sized tortillas. Flatten the dough balls into circles with your hands. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough out into large circles on a floured surface. Roll the dough as thinly as possible while still being able to pick it up gently without tearing the dough.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook each tortilla on each side for 30-45 seconds, until golden brown spots appear.
- Stack the cooked tortillas as you cook to keep them warm and moist and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Serve the tortillas warm with the taco or burrito fillings of your choice.