There are few recipes that invoke memories of family mealtimes. You know, the ones where the entire family gathered around the table to eat some delicious comfort foods and enjoy a little conversation. This Instant Pot Easy Beef Pot Pie is certainly one of those recipes.
Filled with classic ingredients and flavors, this delicious comfort food staple is sure to bring some nostalgia to your dinner table. In fact, Instant Pot Easy Beef Pot Pie is a great meal to serve just about anyone, any night of the week.
Due to the fact that this dish is put together in your Instant Pot, it is done rather quickly. No need to simmer the filling for hours or go crazy waiting for it to cook just right. The Instant Pot will help to meld together the delicious flavors of home in what seems like no time, making it perfect for weeknight meals.
How to Make Instant Pot Easy Beef Pot Pie
This recipe is not one that requires several different ingredients or needs an immense amount of time spent on it. Thankfully, all it takes are a few simple ingredients and a little time to have a hearty meal on your table.
- To create this recipe, you will want to use about 2 to 3 pounds of beef tips or stew meat. This will make for the perfect flavour and texture in the filling.
- This recipe uses ½ cup of dry red wine, but that is optional. If you wish to forgo the red wine, you can add additional beef broth.
- To make the crust, you can use 1 ½ sheets of puff pastry.
- Turn on your Instant Pot and set it to saute mode. Heat until it becomes hot and add in the olive oil.
- Start browning the meat in small batches, making sure to brown on all sides. Remove once the meat has been seared.
- Add in the beef broth and scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to remove any cooked on pieces.
- Add the meat, vegetables, wine, Worcestershire sauce, thyme and a bay leaf to your pot. Stir well to combine and cover and cook on manual for 15 minutes.
- Allow your Instant Pot to perform a natural pressure release for 5 minutes before performing a quick release.
- Return the Instant Pot to the sauté mode and add in your peas.
- Carefully remove 1 cup of the liquid from the pot and mix in with cornstarch. Pour the mixture into the pot and cook for an additional 5 minutes, making sure to stir well until thick.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and prepare a 9×13 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Carefully transfer the filling to the dish and cover with the puff pastry. Keep in mind the pastry will shrink during cooking, so it is important to leave a little bit extra.
- Brush the puff pastry with the egg wash and bake the pie for 30 – 40 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow the pie to rest for at least 5-10 minutes before serving so the sauce will thicken.
What to Serve with Instant Pot Easy Beef Pot Pie?
This delicious pot pie can be served with just about anything. It pairs well with a nice side salad, some steamed vegetables or even simply just on its own.
Instant Pot Easy Beef Pot Pie Recipe
Instant Pot Easy Beef Pot Pie
- 2 to 3 lbs beef tips or stew meat
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz package baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 to 4 carrots peeled, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup dry red wine or additional beef broth
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 large bay leaf or 2 small leaves
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 heaping tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 ½ sheets puff pastry
- 1 large egg whisked together with 1 tablespoon water
- Turn on the electric pressure cooker setting to saute and heat until hot. Add the olive oil and begin browning the meat in small batches. Brown on all sides and then remove until all meat is seared. (Optional: In a hurry, you can skip this step but it does add a richer flavor to the finished beef pot pie.)
- Add the beef broth to the electric pressure cooker and scrap the bottom with a wooden spoon to remove any cooked on pieces.
- To the pot, add the meat, vegetables, wine (if using), worcestershire sauce, thyme, and bay leaf. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on manual or “pressure cook” for 15 minutes. Allow pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes before quick release.
- Return the electric pressure cooker to the saute function. Add the peas.
- Carefully remove about 1 cup of the liquid from the pot and mix with the cornstarch. Pour the slurry back into the pot. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Carefully transfer the beef stew to the baking dish.
- Cover the beef stew with puff pastry, cutting the pastry if needed to fit. Keep in mind that the puff pastry will shrink slightly as it cooks so do not fret if the pastry does not fit perfectly.
- Brush the puff pastry with the egg wash (egg whisked with water).
- Bake the pot pie for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow the pot pie to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving for the sauce to thicken.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©I Don't Have Time For That. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.