Once you try these homemade air fryer mozzarella sticks you’ll never go back to the store-bought kind!
Strips of mozzarella cheese are covered in seasoned breadcrumbs and then cooked in the air fryer into a melty, crunchy, handheld snack that’s ready for dipping and dunking!
Easy Cheesy Appetizer!
- It doesn’t take long to get perfect appetizers and quick snacks just like the ones at TGI Fridays or your local sports bar!
- Make mozzarella sticks in the air fryer in only 10 minutes and serve with marinara, ranch dressing, or Buffalo sauce. Game and party-ready in minutes! Add some air fryer wings, homemade pizza rolls, and some sweet apple fritters to round out the party!
- Prep a double or triple batch of this recipe and freeze them for future snacking!
Ingredients & Variations
Cheese – Mozzarella string cheese pieces are the perfect size, shape, and flavor, plus they’re super melty. Cheddar cheese sticks can also be used, so why not make a batch of both?
Breadcrumbs – Panko is extra crunchy and pre-seasoned breadcrumbs are convenient. Either or both will produce crispy, golden-brown cheese sticks. Crushed pork rinds and almond flour mixed together can be used for a low-carb snack.
Seasoning – Grab a packet of Italian, ranch, taco, chili, or lemon pepper seasoning to punch up the flavors.
How to Make Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- Whisk the egg mixture in one bowl and the breadcrumb mixture in another bowl.
- Roll each piece of cheese in flour, egg, and breadcrumbs (as per the recipe below). Freeze and repeat Step 4.
- Cook mozza sticks in a single layer until they are golden brown. Serve hot.
- Keep batches warm in the oven and crisp them all up in the air fryer before serving.
Mozza Sticks Tips & Tricks
- For maximum coating and crunch, double-coat the mozzarella sticks as directed in Step 6.
- Always refer to the air fryer manual for your model to compare the best power and time for cooking mozzarella sticks.
- Avoid overcrowding the air fryer so the air can circulate around each piece, but it’s okay to rewarm them all at once before serving.
Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup panko or Italian breadcrumbs, or a combination of both
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 8 strings mozzarella sticks
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the egg with 1-2 tablespoons of water to a small mixing bowl. Beat with a fork.
- Mix together the Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and breadcrumbs in another small mixing bowl.
- Dip each individual mozzarella stick into the flour, then into the egg mixture, and then roll in the breadcrumb mixture until coated. Repeat this breading step a second time.
- Place the breaded sticks on the lined baking sheet and then in the freezer for at least 30 minutes.
- Repeat the dipping steps and freezing step one more time. Preheat the air fryer to 400°F.
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray and cook the mozzarella sticks for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the fryer and serve immediately.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©I Don’t Have Time For That. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
REPIN this Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks Recipe