Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Meatballs are a perfect weeknight dinner that’s quick, convenient, and can stay warm and ready until everyone gets home to eat it!
One meal that we always have at least twice a week in my house is spaghetti and meatballs. Whenever I ask my son what he wants for dinner, that is always seems to be the answer. And truthfully, I have grown to hate it. That’s why this week I took my frozen turkey meatballs and decided to make them a new way!
Made with pineapple juice, ketchup, and spicy sriracha, these Sweet and Sour Meatballs are the perfect balance of sweet and savory. It’s really like a new take on traditional comfort food. Serve these meatballs over white rice, and you’ll have yourself one hearty and filling dinner! It also warms up really well if you have a family that doesn’t get to eat all at the same time. I’ve been drinking a lot more pineapple juice lately after reading an article on eHome Remedies.
Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Meatballs are meant to be a super easy meal that you can get on the table in record time, that’s why I opted for frozen meatballs over making my own. I really just don’t have time for that (see what I did there ;)). Weeknight dinners in my house are challenging enough as it is. My son has activities on Mondays and Wednesday, and now with a new baby to boot, everything is always up in the air. But, with a meal like this, at least I know I got dinner covered.
When I throw dinner into the magic pot, it’s not unusual for my son to come over and investigate. With these Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Meatballs though, as soon as they came to pressure and started to smell amazing, he was circling me like a shark. I seriously had to kick him out of the kitchen. And, when dinner was done, he had two YES TWO helpings. That’s how I know this recipe is a winner.
If you need an easy crowd pleasing meal, you have to try these Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Meatballs! You can even make the sauce ahead of time and freeze it with the meatballs for a dump and go Instant Pot meal!
Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Meatballs
Turn IP onto saute. Add 2 cups pineapple juice, brown sugar, vinegar, sriracha, ketchup, and soy sauce. Bring to a boil.
Turn IP off and add frozen meatballs. Close IP lid and set to seal. Cook on manual high pressure for 5 minutes.
While meatballs are cooking, in a small bowl, mix remaining pineapple juice and corn starch until no longer lumpy. (we are just making a slurry)
When timer is up perform a quick release of pressure.Turn IP back onto saute and add pineapple chunks and slurry mixture. Cook for 5-7 minutes to allow sauce to thicken.
Serve over white rice and enjoy.
Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- 24 oz bag frozen meatballs
- 2 ¼ cups pineapple juice
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 1 cup drained pineapple chunks
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- white rice for serving
- Turn IP onto saute. Add 2 cups pineapple juice, brown sugar, vinegar, sriracha, ketchup, and soy sauce. Bring to a boil.
- Turn IP off and add frozen meatballs. Close IP lid and set to seal. Cook on manual high pressure for 5 minutes.
- While meatballs are cooking, in a small bowl, mix remaining pineapple juice and corn starch until no longer lumpy. (we are just making a slurry)
- When timer is up perform a quick release of pressure.
- Turn IP back onto saute and add pineapple chunks and slurry mixture. Cook for 5-7 minutes to allow sauce to thicken.
- Serve over white rice and top with green onion if you choose to.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©I Don't Have Time For That. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Tips for Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- If you want thicker sauce, you can add a second batch of slurry (cornstarch and water) and saute for another minute or two.
- Use any frozen meatballs you like! Beef, turkey, chicken, they all cook the same and come out amazing.
- To make this a freezer meal you can dump in the Instant Pot, just make the sauce and freeze it with the meatballs. When you are ready to cook it, just dump it in and turn the Instant Pot onto saute for a few minutes until you have 1 cup of free liquid. The cooking time will remain the same, just expect your pot to take longer to come to pressure.
- Kick up this meal an extra notch by adding your favorite veggies like red peppers and more at the very end .
If you’re looking for another delicious and quick meal check out this Instant Pot Chicken, Broccoli, and Rice or Instant Pot Cashew Chicken!
is it safe to put frozen meatballs into the IP? Should they defrost first?
It’s totally safe. They cook in the pot just like they would on the stove with no defrosting needed! 🙂