Lemons are one of the most versatile items in the produce department! They are not only great recipe ingredients, but also have many uses in the areas of health, lifestyle, beauty, and cleaning! One of the reason why is lemon juice is one of the best natural cleaners due to its low pH and antibacterial properties. You will be amazed at what this little things can do!
I used to hire a maid in Spring TX, who teached me a lot of very useful tricks. Now as a mom to a toddler, I try to keep all of the harsh chemicals out of my home. It’s my duty as a parent to make sure I have the safest house possible. While everyone usually looks at lemons as something to juice for lemonade or spritz on fish, the truth is that lemons are a powerful cleaning agent. If you are considering hiring a cleaning company check out these tips for hiring a cleaner so you can find a professional cleaner. You can replace almost all heavy-duty chemical cleaners with tiny little lemons.
Here are 10 of our favorite all-natural DIY green cleaning tips with lemons:
1. All-purpose cleaning – Mix the juice from 1 lemon with 2 cups of warm water, a half cup of white vinegar and 5-10 drops of lemon essential oils. Transfer the mixture into a spray bottle, shake and spray to wipe clean surfaces.
2. Laundry – Use one cup of lemon juice instead of bleach. It still breaks down stains, whitens fabrics and it leaves a fresh lemon scent.
3. Toilet Cleaner – Sprinkle a half cup of Borax in the toilet bowl, add a cup of lemon juice and ½ cup of vinegar. Let it sit for 10 minutes then scrub as usual.
4. Dishwasher – Adding a tablespoon of lemon juice to a regular wash can help boost grease cutting power.
5. Natural Air Freshener – In a saucepan, simmer a quart of water with 1 sliced lemon, 2 tablespoons of rosemary and a dash of vanilla.
6. Natural Furniture Polish – Mix half a cup of lemon juice with a cup of olive oil into a spray bottle. Mist onto furniture surface and wipe clean.
7. Hard water stains – Pour 2 cups of white vinegar and a half cup of lemon juice into a bottle. Add a quarter cup of dish soap and shake. Soak the stains in this mixture for 30 minutes then scrub away!
8. Microwave degreaser – Combine a cup of water with the juice of half a lemon along with the lemon in a large, microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 3 minutes and remove the bowl. Use the mixture to wipe down the inside of the microwave until clean.
9. BBQ Grills – Cut a lemon in half and dip it in salt. Use the lemon to scrub the barbeque grill to remove stains.
10. Remove rust stains – The acid in lemons helps remove rust stains. Sprinkle salt on the rust stain and rub with half a lemon. Allow it to sit for an hour, scrubbing periodically, and rinse.
- Buy your lemons in bulk from the produce section. They will be much cheaper then buying everyone individually!
- When using a lemon wedge or half as your scrubbing tool, remove the seeds first. Just take a small sharp knife and pry out the seeds so they don’t scratch your surfaces.
- When you’re done cleaning with you lemon, don’t just throw it out! Grind them up in your garbage disposal to freshen/deodorize it!
What are some of your favorite ways to use lemons in your home?
– Check this resource to find more from Maid Easy.