There is something many people often crave over the cooler months and that is comfort food. One of the most warming comfort foods is a delicious soup. That is where this Instant Pot Cajun 15 Bean Soup comes in.
Cooking up some delicious comfort food after a long and cold day usually takes an abundance of time. Especially when it comes to soups. This is because you want the flavors to properly meld to create a delicious dish. Thankfully though, the Instant Pot can help to take the fuss out of creating well balanced meals, cutting the time you would take to make a dish, down to virtually nothing. This Instant Pot Cajun 15 Bean Soup is no exception that.
Combining the delicious and nutritious flavors of 15 different beans, bacon, ham and a yummy soup base, this recipe is sure to please your entire family. It will warm them from the inside out, satisfying their hearts and their stomachs.
How to Make Instant Pot Cajun 15 Bean Soup
When it comes to making this tasty recipe, all it takes is an instant pot, some delicious ingredients and a whole lot of love.
- This recipe requires one 20-ounce package of 15 bean blend. You can find bags of these at your local grocery store.
- You will also want approximately five strips of bacon, cut into one-inch pieces and an 18 ounce package of diced ham.
- This recipe calls for chicken broth. If you so desire, you can a low sodium alternative. Be warned though, this may alter the flavor a little.
- Set your instant pot to sauté mode and add in your vegetable oil. Add your onion to the pot and cook for about 5 minutes, making sure to stir once in a while. Add in your minced garlic and sauté for an additional minute.
- Turn off you instant pot and add in one cup of your chicken broth. Make sure to deglaze the pot of scraping the bottom of the pan to remove any stuck-on onion or garlic.
- Season the broth with your Cajun seasoning and parsley. Add in the beans, bacon, ham, water and remaining chicken broth. Stir everything well to combine.
- Place the lid on your instant pot and seal. Set it to pressure cook for 35 minutes. Once time is up, allow for a natural release for 10 minutes. Then, perform a quick release to remove any additional lingering pressure.
- If you prefer a thicker soup, use a potato masher to mash up some of the beans.
- Stir well before serving.
Where Can I Find the Beans for Instant Pot Cajun 15 Bean Soup?
It is fairly common to find a 15-bean soup mix in your local grocery store. They are generally sold nearby the other dry beans. These beans are a mix of 15 different varieties of beans of different patterns, colors and sizes. Sometimes these mixes come with a packet of seasoning, but I usually just use my own spices and herbs.
Instant Pot Cajun 15 Bean Soup
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 20 ounce package 15-bean blend
- 5 strips bacon cut into one-inch pieces
- 8 ounce diced ham
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Set the Instant Pot to saute mode and add vegetable oil. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the minced garlic and saute for one minute.
- Turn off the Instant Pot and add one cup of chicken broth. Deglaze the pot by scraping the bottom of the pan to remove stuck-on onion and garlic. Season with Cajun seasoning and parsley.
- Add the beans, bacon, diced ham, water, and remaining chicken broth. Stir to combine.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and seal the vent. Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook for 35 minutes.
- When the cook time is up, allow the Instant Pot to naturally release for 10 minutes, then do a quick release to remove remaining pressure. Stir soup before serving.
- Note: To thicken the soup, mash some of the beans using a potato masher. Stir to combine.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©I Don't Have Time For That. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
If you’re looking for another delicious and quick meal check out this Instant Pot Easy Beef Pot Pie or Instant Pot Hearty Meat Sauce!