The holidays are creeping up fast and many people are starting to build their menus. When it comes to dessert, this Instant Pot Ginger Cake will not only make you smile, but it is beyond delicious and reminiscent of all things holiday.
Gingerbread is a very traditional holiday flavor. In fact, many people make gingerbread cookies for the holiday season. This year, why not try something different? This is where the Instant Pot Ginger Cake comes in. Not only does it taste like the gingerbread you know and love, but it is just an amazing and beautiful dessert, perfect for cozy nights by the fire with a cup of hot chocolate. If it something new you are looking for this holiday season, you have found it. This is it.
Done in the Instant Pot and topped with maple bourbon frosting, this cake is sure to be a holiday dessert game changer.
How to Make Instant Pot Ginger Cake
This delicious and festive cake is done in the Instant pot and cooked to perfection for all your holiday dessert needs. Yummy and oh so comforting when its snowing outside.
- Prior to getting started with this delicious recipe you are going to want to ensure that you have your butter and cream cheese for the frosting sitting at room temperature to soften. This will make combining the ingredients to make the frosting much easier.
- To prepare your cake batter, cream together you butter and sugar and whisk is your egg and molasses.
- Stir your maple extract and sweetened condensed milk into the batter and mix well to combine.
- Add in your flour, baking soda, ginger and cinnamon and whisk well. You want it to be a smooth consistency.
- Carefully pour your hot water into the batter and whisk to combine. Be careful though, you don’t want to burn yourself.
- Add 1 ½ cups of water to your instant pot and prepare a 7 inch springform pan with non stick cooking spray. Pour the batter into the pan and cover with foil.
- Lower your pan into the instant pot using a sling. This will make sure that the cake is placed evenly and easy to retrieve.
- Seal your instant pot and set it on manual high pressure for an hour.
- While your cake is cooking, prepare your frosting.
- Cream together butter, cream cheese and sugar in a small bowl. Make sure they are well combined.
- Add in your remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix on high speed for 3 minutes. Cover and store in the fridge until ready to use.
- Once your instant pot has finished cooking, allow for a natural release for 10 minutes and then remove the cake from the instant pot.
- Allow your cake to cool completely before you add the frosting.
- Once cooled, frost your cake, sprinkle with chopped pecans and enjoy.
Why Do I Have to Cool This Instant Pot Ginger Cake?
Cooling this cake prior to frosting it will ensure that you have the perfect texture to your frosting. If you frost the cake too soon after cooking it, the frosting will melt down off the cake, making not only a mess, but leaving very little frosting on the cake itself.
Instant Pot Ginger Cake with Bourbon Frosting Recipe
Instant Pot Ginger Cake with Maple Bourbon Frosting
- 6 qt Instant Pot
- ½ cup butter one stick
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon maple extract
- 2 tbsp sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ tbsp ground ginger
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup boiling hot water
- 1 cup chopped pecans
Maple bourbon frosting
- 4 oz butter ½ stick, softened
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp bourbon
- Prepare cake batter. Cream butter and sugar. Whisk in egg and molasses. Next, stir in maple extract and sweetened condensed milk. Whisk well to combine
- Add flour, baking soda, ginger, and cinnamon to the bowl and whisk until smooth. Carefully pour hot water into the batter and whisk.
- Add 1 ½ cups of water to the instant pot.
- Lightly spray a 7” springform pan with nonstick cooking spray. Pour batter into the pan. Cover with foil and lower into the instant pot using a sling. Seal and set on manual high pressure for 60 minutes.
- Prepare frosting. In a small bowl, cream butter, cream cheese, and sugar. Add all remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix on high speed for 3 minutes. Cover, and store in the fridge until ready to use.
- Once the instant pot has finished cooking, allow natural release for 10 minutes. Remove from the instant pot and let cool completely before adding frosting.
- Once cooled, add frosting. Sprinkle with chopped pecans and enjoy!