Instant Pot turkey breast is the answer for an easy entree!
Why wait for Thanksgiving to make a succulent and savory turkey dinner? The Instant Pot makes fresh (or frozen!) boneless turkey breast ready for the table in less than an hour with seasoned veggies, too!
Perfectly Tender Turkey Breast
- Roast turkey breast doesn’t have to take all day with the Instant Pot, it’s the perfect recipe for every day (when time is precious) but also elegant enough for a special occasion!
- For smaller families or those that don’t want the prep of a whole turkey, cooking a boneless turkey requires minimal prep and zero oven time! Plus the Instant Pot saves valuable kitchen space!
- It’s also great for batch cooking! Prep on the weekend and use cooked turkey breast in recipes all week long or freeze it for future recipes!
Ingredients and Variations
Turkey Breast – Turkey is a lean, low-fat protein with a mild flavor that can be seasoned in various ways. Butterball makes a standard 3 lb turkey breast that comes with or without the skin or the bone and is even pre-seasoned, but any brand will do. Turkey tenderloins are smaller cuts that are boneless and skinless and they can be used in this recipe, too.
Vegetables – Onions, carrots, and celery (“mire poix”) make the ‘raft’ for the broth and turkey to cook in. Once the turkey is done, the leftover broth with the veggies can be pureed and used as a base for other recipes.
Broth – Chicken or turkey broth is needed to create pressure in the Instant Pot but it also helps infuse the flavors of the veggies and seasonings into the meat.
Seasonings – Fresh poultry herbs like sage, thyme, and rosemary are aromatic and impart a fresh flavor. If you only have dried herbs, a good rule of thumb is 1 teaspoon of dried to 1 tablespoon of fresh.
How to Cook Turkey Breast in the Instant Pot
- Place the vegetables on a trivet in the Instant Pot. Mix the butter, garlic, and fresh herbs in a bowl.
- Pat the turkey dry and gently rub the butter mixture between the skin and breast meat until it’s evenly coated.
- Drizzle oil over the outside and sprinkle it with salt and pepper, making sure it’s coated evenly.
- Set the turkey breast skin side up on top of the vegetables in the Instant Pot and seal the lid.
- Manual cook (as per recipe below), then let the pressure naturally release for 15 minutes.
- Gently remove the turkey breast and allow it to rest for about 10 minutes. Slice and serve.
PRO TIP: A frozen turkey breast will take about 50 minutes with a 15-20 minute natural release. NOTE: Times may vary depending on how many pounds your turkey breast is – it doesn’t hurt to refer to the manual for your model of Instant Pot, but it’s generally 7-9 minutes of cooking per pound.
Storing Leftover Turkey Breast
Keep leftover Instant Pot turkey breast covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. It can be frozen for up to 3 months.
What to Serve with Turkey Breast
Instant Pot Garlic and Herb Turkey Breast
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock
- 2 large onions quartered
- 3 large carrots cut into 1 ½” slices
- 2 stalks celery cut into 1 ½” slices
- 4 tablespoons butter softened (¼ cup)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh sage minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary minced
- 1 boneless skin-on turkey breast (3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Add the trivet insert to the Instant Pot followed by the chicken stock, onions, carrots, and celery. Make sure the vegetables are in an even layer so they create a bed for the turkey breast to sit on.
- In a small bowl, mix together the butter, garlic, parsley, sage, thyme, and rosemary until combined.
- Pat the turkey breast dry with a paper towel and gently lift the skin away from the meat. Rub the butter mixture between the skin and the breast meat making sure to cover it evenly.
- Drizzle the outside of the turkey breast with olive oil and sprinkle it with salt and pepper. Rub seasoning all over the turkey to make sure it’s evenly coated on all sides.
- Place the turkey breast in the Instant Pot skin side up.
- Attach the lid and ensure the valve is in the “sealing” position. Set the Instant Pot to Pressure Cook – Manual for 35 minutes.
- Once the Instant Pot has finished cooking, allow the pressure to release naturally for 15 minutes. Then, release any additional pressure by switching the valve to the venting position.
- Remove the turkey from the Instant Pot and slice into your desired size. Enjoy.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©I Don’t Have Time For That. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
REPIN this Instant Pot Turkey Breast Recipe!