Get creamy, buttery mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot in less than 15 minutes without heating up the stove!
The Instant Pot always makes short work of dense veggies like potatoes, sweet potatoes, or carrots. Season, then set it and forget it for light and fluffy mashed potatoes anytime! Save time and space on the stove top with this simple mashed potato recipe!
An Easy Way to Make Mashed Potatoes
- Mashed potatoes are the most popular side dish year-round, and it doesn’t take long for the Instant pot to make them in minutes with minimal prep!
- For those busy holiday meals, the Instant Pot saves precious time and stovetop space.
- For larger gatherings (or those who really love mashed potatoes!), cook in batches of mashed potatoes and keep them warm in the crock pot and let everyone help themselves!
- Serve alongside small bowls of sour cream, salsa, sliced green onions, diced red bell peppers, shredded cheddar cheese, or bacon bits!
Ingredients and Variations
POTATOES: Any potato will do for Instant pot mashed potatoes, but Yukon Golds are extra starchy which means they’ll cook up fluffier than other varieties.
SEASONINGS: Full-fat butter and milk offer the best flavors in mashed potatoes. Sour cream or Greek yogurt can be added to thicken mashed potatoes. Add a little garlic powder for a more savory flavor.
ADD-INS: Stir in a dash or two of Tabasco, cheese sauce, or parmesan cheese.
How to Make Mashed Potatoes in an Instant Pot
Mashed potatoes will be ready in minutes when you follow these easy steps:
- Add prepared potatoes to the Instant pot with chicken broth (as per the recipe below).
- Seal the lid and cook for 12 minutes, and then naturally release.
- Mash in the butter, milk, and seasonings until smooth, and serve.
Pro Tips for Mashed Potatoes
- Don’t overcrowd the Instant Pot, cook in batches if needed.
- The warmed milk and melted butter can be whisked together before adding them to the potatoes.
Storing Mashed Potatoes
- Keep leftover Instant pot mashed potatoes covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Freeze portions in zippered bags for up to 8 weeks. Thawed mashed potatoes will be watery but simply reheat them on the stove or in the Instant pot and that liquid will evaporate.
- Always add extra butter and adjust the seasonings.
- Make in advance and reheat in the Instant Pot by adding a little bit of milk and some extra butter.
More Great Side Dishes
- Air Fryer Brown Sugar Sweet Potatoes – Sweet
- Instant Pot Bread – Warma and Comforting
- Stove Top Stuffing Recipe – A classic
- Easy Cranberry Sauce – Tart and Sweet
- Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes – So easy to make
- Cheesy Potato Casserole – A crowd favorite
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth or water
- 5 pounds russet potatoes peeled and cut into 1" chunks
- ½ cup butter softened
- ¼ cup milk warmed
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper or to taste
- Place broth in the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Add the potatoes and seal the lid.
- Select MANUAL and set the time to 12 minutes.
- Once the timer reaches zero and beeps, release the pressure.
- Do not drain. Add in the butter and milk along with salt & pepper.
- Use a hand masher to mash the potatoes until smooth.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©I Don’t Have Time For That. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
REPIN this Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Recipe