Once you try making slow cooker mashed potatoes, you’ll never make them any other way!
Creamy, fluffy, and buttery-tasting mashed potatoes are easy to make, serve and keep warm in one Crockpot! They are cooked in chicken broth with garlic powder, and mashed with heavy cream and butter making these mashed potatoes rich and full of savory flavor!
Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes!
Make rich and creamy old-fashioned mashed potatoes easily in the crock pot!
- The crockpot (AKA slow cooker) makes short work of recipes that normally take up valuable stove and oven space. One-pot cooking saves time and cleanup!
- Make a double-batch and serve them warm from the crock pot at a potluck or party or make and keep some to use in recipes all week long!
- Serve with whole chicken or under beef stroganoff.
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
POTATOES: Yukon Gold potatoes are best for mashed because they are extra starchy with a thin skin, yellow flesh, and a natural buttery flavor. Russets or red potatoes will also work. Any will do and peel or no-peel is totally voluntary! And, yes, this recipe can be converted for sweet potatoes as well!
BROTH: Chicken broth adds an extra dimension of flavor to mashed potatoes, but if all you’ve got is water, then add some poultry seasonings or your favorite savory blend.
DAIRY: The full-fat flavors that butter and cream bring to mashed potatoes give them the best texture. For a non-dairy version, use ghee and oat milk. Sour cream or Greek yogurt can be added to make them even more creamy.
EXTRAS: Mashed potatoes are like a culinary canvas! Swirl in some roasted garlic, bleu cheese crumbles, parmesan cheese, or even a dash of your favorite spicy sauce like Sriracha! Don’t forget the standard bacon bits, green onions, or shredded cheddar cheese!
How to Make Slow-Cooker Mashed Potatoes
Just follow these steps:
- Cook the cut potatoes, broth, and garlic powder in the slow cooker and stir every hour until tender (as per the recipe below).
- Add butter and cream and mash until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve hot.
Tips & Tricks
- Make sure the potatoes are cut to the same size, so they cook evenly.
- While the potatoes are cooking in Step 1, combine the butter and heavy cream in a saucepan and keep warm until it’s ready to use.
- Make ahead and keep them warm in the crock pot on a low setting. Periodically add extra milk or butter to keep them creamy.
Storing Mashed Potatoes
- Keep leftover slow cooker mashed potatoes covered in the refrigerator for up to 6 days.
- Reheat them in the microwave or for best results, reheat them on the stovetop after adding a little cream or milk to loosen them up.
- Freeze them in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 4 months.
More Easy and Delicious Side Dishes
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes – Great for a Crowd
- Stove Top Stuffing Recipe – A classic dish
- Maple Glazed Carrots – Healthy and Bright
- Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes – Sweet
- Instant Pot Bread – Warm and comforting
- Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes – Fancy but easy!
Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- 5 pounds potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ½ cup heavy cream warmed
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper or to taste
- Place the cut potatoes, broth, and garlic powder into a 6QT slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low 6-7 hours, stirring every hour.
- Add butter and cream to potatoes and use a hand masher to mash until smooth. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©I Don’t Have Time For That. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Recipe Slightly adapted from SpendWithPennies.
REPIN this Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes Recipe