This recipe for air fryer smashed potatoes is as much fun to make as it is to eat!
Smashed potatoes are seasoned with garlic butter and parmesan cheese and then roasted in the air fryer until they’re tender-crisp and delish!
They make an excellent side dish for any hearty meat entree and an easy alternative to mashed potatoes!
Perfectly Crispy Smashed Potatoes!
- The air fryer is one of the best ways to make potatoes without heating up the oven and cleanup is a cinch!
- Get crispy roasted smashed potatoes just in time for the big game, movie night, or as an economical side dish for a party or potluck!
- Make hot and hearty smashed potatoes in minutes with this easy recipe and let the kids do the “smashing!”
Ingredients and Variations
POTATOES: Smashed potatoes get their unique look by using mini-sized potatoes: baby reds, small new potatoes, and fingerling are excellent choices.
SEASONINGS: Keep it simple with a little butter, garlic, and parmesan cheese, or go big and sprinkle on some freshly chopped herbs, or a dash of taco seasoning or ranch seasoning, or lemon pepper.
TOPPINGS: Anything goes with smashed potatoes! Bacon bits, chopped green onions, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, or salsa.
How to Make Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes
- Cook potatoes in the air fryer until they are fork-tender.
- Smash them with a spatula, rolling pin, or bottom of a drinking glass and season them with garlic butter.
- Air fry until crisp and golden brown and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Serve with other tasty air fryer dishes like lemon pepper wings, ham with garlic and herbs, or crab cakes.
Leftover smashed potatoes can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in a zippered bag in the freezer for up to 3 weeks. Reheat in the air fryer.
More Potato Recipes
Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes
- 1 pound small potatoes yellow or red
- olive oil spray
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese grated
- Wash the potatoes and dry them well. Preheat the air fryer to 400°F
- Spray the air fryer basket with olive oil. Add the potatoes to the air fryer basket. Spray the potatoes with more olive oil and season lightly with salt pepper.
- Cook the potatoes for 15 minutes or until they are fork tender.
- Remove the potatoes from the air fryer. Place them on a plate or counter and press them with a spatula or rolling pin just until they burst open.
- Place the potatoes back in the air fryer basket. Don’t overcrowd them. It may be necessary to do two batches.
- Stir together the melted butter and garlic, in a small bowl. Using a pastry brush, coat the potatoes with the garlic butter. Cook for an additional 8-10 minutes at 400°F. Remove them once they are crispy and golden brown.
- Sprinkle with grated parmesan and serve.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©I Don’t Have Time For That. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
REPIN this Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes Recipe