Super easy to prep and ready in minutes, Instant Pot baked potato soup is the classic comfort soup that everyone will love!
This savory soup features cheese and bacon, onions, and potatoes simmered in chicken broth with garlic and heavy cream!
Instant Pot Baked Potato Soup!
- Hearty and loaded with flavor, baked potato soup is fast and easy using the Instant Pot!
- Baked potato soup has so many options for add-ins and toppings, it’s like a new recipe every time! Try it with healthy broccoli or some chopped ham.
- This recipe has all the flavor and texture of Panera’s cream cheese potato soup, but without the price tag! Plus, it’s gluten-free and a rich source of calcium from milk and cheese.
Ingredients and Variations
Potatoes – For the creamiest texture, go for the gold, Yukon gold, that is! Red potatoes and russets will work but try to get a couple of Yukon golds in there or use a combination. For a rustic look, keep the peels on or add a bag of frozen hash browns to stretch those food budget dollars!
Soup Base – Chicken broth is the best, but any broth will do. Since bacon is quite salty, go for a low-sodium broth, if desired. Heavy cream will make potato soup rich and creamy, half and half can work, and in a pinch, use whole milk.
Toppings – Bacon bits and cheddar cheese are the basics, but go for sliced green onions, French fried onions, or croutons! A dollop of sour cream with chives on top will add a touch of elegance!
How to Make Instant Pot Baked Potato Soup
- Cook the chopped bacon and drain it on a paper towel.
- Cook the onion in the bacon grease for about 3 minutes. Add garlic and rosemary.
- Scrape the bits from the bottom of the Instant Pot and add potatoes.
- Seal the lid and cook on manual as per the recipe below, allowing a natural release for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the heavy cream and blend with an immersion blender to desired consistency.
- Season and garnish with bacon bits and cheddar cheese.
PRO TIP: Remove some of the cooked potatoes before blending and add them back for a chunky-style soup.
What Goes with Baked Potato Soup?
Make the Instant Pot pull double-duty and bake up a batch of homemade bread and add a crispy, green side salad! Or serve potato soup as a starter with a hearty meal of spinach and provolone-stuffed flank steak. For dessert? Try something special like this air fryer cannoli!
Storing Leftover Soup
Keep leftover baked potato soup in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat on the stovetop. Freeze portions in zippered bags in the refrigerator for up to 8 weeks but note that the texture might change due to the dairy. Simply puree the soup in a blender with some extra cream before reheating!
More Great Soup Recipes
Instant Pot Baked Potato Soup
- 1 cup raw bacon chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon Rosemary crushed
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups Yukon gold potatoes peeled and chopped
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded, for garnish
- Heat the Instant Pot using the Saute function. Add the bacon & cook, stirring occasionally until crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Remove bacon & drain on a paper towel. Leave bacon grease in the pot.
- Add onion & cook, stirring occasionally, until soft & translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic & rosemary & cook for an additional minute.
- Add chicken stock & scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Add potatoes & attach the lid. Ensure the valve is in the “sealing” position.
- Set the Instant Pot to Pressure Cook – Manual for 8 minutes.
- Once the Instant Pot is done, allow pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes. Then switch the valve to “venting” position to release any additional pressure.
- Add the heavy cream & use an immersion blender to puree the soup to the desired consistency. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Garnish with bacon & shredded cheese.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©I Don’t Have Time For That. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
REPIN this Instant Pot Baked Potato Soup Recipe