Wild rice mushroom soup is the perfect recipe for a meatless Monday or a vegetarian entrée!
Two kinds of mushrooms along with veggies and wild rice are cooked in a savory broth and ready in 30 minutes thanks to the Instant Pot! Keep it light meatless, or toss in diced chicken or turkey for a more substantial dish!
A Hearty & Healthy Soup
- Mushroom wild rice soup is healthy, hearty, and tastes like it’s been slow-cooking all day in the crock pot! This recipe has a little bit of melted cream cheese to make it extra rich and creamy!
- Add chicken, turkey, Italian ground sausage, or cans of drained black, kidney, or garbanzo beans for meat-free protein.
- Budget-friendly soups like this one mean you can use up leftover veggies from the fridge and no one will know!
- Wild rice mushroom soup is flavorful and filling like a casserole but takes only minutes to prepare in the Instant Pot. Serve this delicious soup with a thick slice of homemade bread and a crisp green salad.
Ingredients & Variations
MUSHROOMS: Portobello mushrooms are dark and large and have a woodsy flavor that contrasts well with white mushrooms. Any combination of mushrooms works, try for flavors, colors, and textures that are contrasting.
VEGETABLES: Cooked onions, carrots, and celery are called a “mirepoix” giving the mushroom soup a rich and robust flavor. Bulk it up with potatoes, zucchini, and bell peppers, or if time is short, toss in a bag of frozen mixed vegetables.
RICE: Avoid “wild rice blends” since the grains won’t cook at the same rate in the Instant Pot. Wild rice is longer, darker, and has a nutty flavor that stays firm in soups even as leftovers. The rice can be switched out for orzo or wide egg noodles if it’s not available.
How to Make Wild Rice & Mushroom Soup
- Saute onions and mushrooms in oil in the Instant Pot (as per the recipe below).
- Deglaze the bottom with broth and add the remaining ingredients.
- Close the Instant pot lid and cook for 24 minutes with a natural release for 10. Stir, season, and serve.
How Long Does it Last?
- Keep leftover wild rice and mushroom soup in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Reheat portions on the stove or in the microwave.
- Freeze soup in zippered bags for up to 2 months and reheat on the stove on medium heat.
More Soup Recipes
Mushroom Wild Rice Soup
- 1 onion diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 8 ounces portobello mushrooms
- 8 ounces white mushrooms
- 1 ¼ cups wild rice not wild rice blend
- 4 ounces cream cheese cubed
- 2 large carrots chopped
- 3 ribs celery chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Turn the Instant Pot on to SAUTE.
- Add the oil, onions, and mushrooms and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Turn the Instant Pot off and pour in about 1 cup of the broth scraping any brown bits off of the bottom of the pan.
- Add the rice, cream cheese, carrot, celery, broth, water, bay leaf, poultry seasoning, and garlic powder.
- Turn the Instant Pot on to MANUAL, HIGH PRESSURE for 24 minutes. Allow to naturally release for 10 minutes.
- Release any remaining pressure and stir the soup.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Leftover wild rice and mushroom soup will keep in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- This soup will keep in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©I Don’t Have Time For That. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Adapted from Feasting at Home
REPIN this Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup Recipe