This cheeseburger soup recipe makes simple ground beef taste so delicious!
Running out of ideas for ground beef recipes? This tasty and satisfying soup is simple to cook and it’s loaded with hearty ingredients like sour cream, cheese, ground beef, potato, and vegetables, for a dinner that the whole family will love. Have a bowl of comfort and enjoy delicious leftovers all week long.
Easy Cheeseburger Soup
- Simple ingredients that most pantries have on hand make this a perfect weeknight recipe.
- Easy prep means that anyone can make dinner tonight in just one pot! Print out the recipe and leave it on the counter for tonight’s chef!
- Hearty and satisfying soup with a cheesy base makes for the best soup as a meal that even picky eaters will love! Serve it with some crispy uncrustables for the kids!
Ingredients & Variations
GROUND BEEF: Use full-fat ground beef and drain it, or go for extra lean ground beef and skip a step. Forgot to defrost the meat? Try cooking this Instant Pot frozen ground beef.
DAIRY: Cubed cheddar cheese is called for in the recipe, or substitute any other favorite. Even smooth and creamy Velveeta cheese will work. Sour cream gives the soup a creamy tang and depth of flavor.
VEGETABLES: Vegetables and potatoes make a thick and hearty soup that serves almost like a stew. Try using instant potato flakes to thicken the broth instead of the all-purpose flour.
HERBS & SEASONINGS: Keep it simple & savory with basil, parsley, salt, & pepper. For a zestier soup, add some smoked or sweet paprika or some chili flakes for a kick!
VARIATIONS: For a keto version, substitute low carb cauliflower and diced peppers for potatoes and carrots, and use an approved keto thickener such as psyllium husk instead of flour. Add some mushrooms, too!
Crumble bacon on top for bacon cheeseburger soup, or add some browned sausage. Sliced or minced garlic is also a great flavor enhancer if added while cooking the onions. Serve soup with a thick slice of Instant Pot bread. Shredded cheese and green onions on top would make a fantastic garnish, or serve it with some croutons, onion rings, or French fried onions on top!
How to Make Cheeseburger Soup
- Brown the ground beef, drain fat, and set aside.
- Cook vegetables and dried herbs in butter.
- Stir in flour, whisk in chicken broth, and add milk until smooth.
- Add potatoes and simmer per the recipe below.
- Add ground beef and cheese, and stir until melted.
- Remove from heat, mix in sour cream, season, and serve.
Cheeseburger soup can also be made in a slow cooker, and it’s super easy:
- Season and brown ground beef in a pot on the stovetop, drain off fat and add to Crockpot.
- Melt butter on low in the same pot. Add onions, celery, and carrots to the pot with basil and parsley, cook on medium-low until onion is translucent about 5 minutes.
- Add flour and stir, add chicken broth and whisk until smooth.
- Add this mixture to the Crockpot with the ground beef and stir.
- Add potatoes and cover, cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- 30 minutes before the cooking cycle is complete, add milk and cheddar cheese, and stir.
- When the cheese is fully melted, add sour cream (amounts found in recipe below).
- Stir and make sure the soup is hot before serving.
Storing Cheeseburger Soup
- Cheeseburger soup will keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. To reheat it, whisk in some extra chicken broth to thin it out a little, and heat on the stovetop.
- To freeze, transfer the soup to a tightly sealed freezer-safe container. It will maintain its quality for a month, but it is safe to eat beyond that time.
More Soup Recipes
- Copycat Panera Autumn Soup – Rich
- Instant Pot Sausage and White Bean Soup – Hearty
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Soup – Flavorful
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup – Creamy
- Instant Pot Lasagna Soup – Easy & Cheesy
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 medium carrots shredded, about 1 cup
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 4 cups potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded, about 8 oz
- ¼ cup sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, brown ground beef over medium heat, breaking it apart as it cooks until no pink remains. Drain any fat and remove from the pan. Set aside.
- In the same pot, melt the butter and add in onion, carrots, celery, basil, and parsley. Saute for 2-3 minutes or until onions are translucent. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk the chicken broth and milk into the veggies, stirring constantly. Add potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer for 15-20 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Add in the beef and cheese. Stir until melted.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the sour cream. Add salt & pepper to taste and serve with your favorite hamburger toppings!
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©I Don’t Have Time For That. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
REPIN this Cheeseburger Soup recipe!