Instant Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup is creamy and so satisfying for any occasion!
Superfood broccoli and sharp cheddar cheese are always a perfect pair in a soup and this Instant Pot recipe means it’s ready in minutes! Perfect for busy weeknights and desktop lunches! Did we mention it’s low-carb?
Our Favorite Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- This Panera copycat recipe is so easy, the Instant Pot makes it table-ready in minutes without heating up the oven!
- Loaded with healthy broccoli and cooked in a rich, cheddar cheesy sauce, it’s even easy to make a keto friendly version without flour (just add extra cheese) and has a gluten-free option!
- Make ahead and serve all week using leftover veggies or meat like shredded chicken or turkey.
- Perfect for potlucks and parties, Instant pot broccoli and cheddar soup is always a crowd-pleaser! Serve with thick slices of homemade bread from the Instant Pot and some bacon bits!
Ingredients and Variations
Broccoli – Fresh or frozen florets both work in this soup without having to adjust the cook times. Mix it up and add some cauliflower florets, chopped spinach or kale, or any leftover veggies in the fridge! Bulk it up by adding frozen diced potatoes or any vegetable medley.
Cheese – Cheddar cheese brings a robust flavor to broccoli cheddar soup, but other cheeses can be used like Monterey jack, mozzarella, or a shredded Mexican blend. For best results, stick with the full-fat cream for a thick and velvety texture.
Stock – Chicken broth and sauteed veggies add body and flavor to this savory soup. For a gluten-free soup, omit the flour (and cornstarch) entirely in Step 4. Thicken the soup after it’s cooked by pureeing one or two cups and then adding it back to the soup, or add extra cheese.
How to Make Instant Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Saute onion, carrot, and celery in olive oil in the Instant Pot. Add garlic, broccoli, and stock, and pressure cook on high for 2 minutes. Manually vent.
- Mix the cheese with flour and cornstarch in the Instant pot a little at a time on the saute setting until it’s fully incorporated. Stir in the cream until the soup is fully blended and slightly thickened. Serve with extra shredded cheddar cheese, if desired.
PRO TIP: Make an elegant bisque by pureeing the soup and serving it with cracked black pepper and a bit of cheddar cheese!
What Goes with Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Besides a simple salad, broccoli cheddar soup is absolutely delicious with a thick slice of homemade bread. Try it with a gourmet chicken salad sandwich, or some baked chicken wings for a full meal deal. And for dessert? Nothing beats this festive Instant Pot gingerbread, especially with whipped cream on top! And some refreshing Instant Pot iced tea will make you feel like you are dining at a hot luncheon spot!
Storing Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Store leftover broccoli cheddar soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. Reheat on the stovetop. Freeze in zippered bags for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or in the Instant Pot.
Savory Instant Pot Soup
Instant Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion diced
- 1 large carrot diced
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 head broccoli cut into florets
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- ½ cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the Instant Pot using the sauté function. Add the olive oil, onion, carrot, and celery. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until the onions are just starting to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Next add the garlic, broccoli, and chicken stock. Attach the lid and ensure the valve is in the sealing position. Pressure cook on high for 2 minutes.
- Once the Instant Pot has finished cooking, release the pressure manually by switching the valve to the venting position.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cheese, flour, and cornstarch.
- Switch the Instant Pot back to the sauté function and add the cheese, a little at a time, stirring constantly.
- Once all of the cheese has been incorporated, add the cream and cook the soup for 2-3 minutes, or until it has thickened slightly.
- Enjoy immediately, topped with more cheddar cheese if desired.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©I Don’t Have Time For That. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
REPIN this Instant Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe