This delicious colcannon recipe is a hearty, comforting side dish that’s made fast and easy in the Instant Pot!
Colcannon combines the flavors of cabbage and mashed potatoes to create a traditional Irish dish that the family will love!
Serve it on the plate next to corned beef with a wedge of soda bread on the side.
What is Colcannon?
- This traditional Irish dish is a rich and flavorful St. Patrick’s Day classic that everyone loves!
- Colcannon is a healthy, filling, and delicious recipe and one of the best ways to feed a crowd on a budget!
- Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Prepare your feast with other traditional recipes like corned beef and cabbage or Guinness mac and cheese.
Ingredients & Variations
Cabbage – Green cabbage gets tender and sweet when sautéed in oil. Savoy cabbage or even kale can be used in place of regular cabbage.
Dairy – Lots of real, full-fat dairy like heavy cream and butter will give colcannon its rich flavor and creamy consistency.
Variations – Add fried onions, scallions, or leeks to the Instant Pot at the end of Step 2. A dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt will add extra creaminess. Make it a main dish and add some sliced summer sausage, cooked bacon pieces, or diced ham.
How to Make Colcannon Potatoes
Colcannon potatoes with cabbage are a hearty, comforting side dish that’s made fast and easy in the Instant Pot!
- Heat oil in the Instant Pot and cook cabbage. Add garlic, (per the recipe below).
- Add remaining ingredients (except half the butter), cover, and cook.
- Allow the Instant Pot to vent.
- Add remaining butter to the Instant Pot and mash the cooked potatoes and cabbage to desired consistency.
Season before serving.
What to Serve with Colcannon
Tips for Storing Leftovers
- Keep Instant Pot colcannon potatoes with cabbage in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- Reheat on the stovetop with a little cream to keep the consistency of the mashed potatoes creamy.
- Use leftover colcannon potatoes in a soup or stew, if desired.
More Potato Recipes
Did you enjoy these Instant Pot Colcannon Potatoes? Leave a comment and rating below!
Instant Pot Colcannon Potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups shredded cabbage or kale (about ½ small head)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes peeled and cut into 1" cubes
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons butter divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Heat the Instant Pot using the Saute-High function. Add the olive oil and allow it to heat for a minute.
- Add the cabbage and cook, stirring occasionally, until it has softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the potatoes, water, cream, 2 tablespoons of butter, salt, and pepper. Attach the lid and ensure the valve is in the “sealing” position. Set the Instant Pot to Pressure Cook-Manual for 7 minutes.
- When the timer finishes, release the pressure manually by switching the valve to the “venting” position. Be careful – it will steam!
- Add the remaining butter and mash the potatoes to your desired consistency. I like using an immersion blender to mash potatoes but you can also use a hand masher or stand mixer. Season with additional salt and pepper if needed. Serve hot.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©I Don’t Have Time For That. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.