Colcannon Potatoes are made with mashed potatoes, and cabbage, and cooked in a rich and creamy sauce.
It’s savory, filling and so cozy! Make hearty Instant Pot colcannon potatoes for St. Patrick’s Day or anytime throughout the year!
What are Colcannon Potatoes?
Colcannon potatoes are a traditional Irish or Scottish dish made from creamy mashed potatoes and cabbage, or more recently, kale, but the word itself ‘colcannon’ means white cabbage. It’s easy to make, filling, and a perfect side dish to hearty meats like corned beef or herbed ham.
Why We Love This Traditional Dish
- The Instant Pot cooks colcannon in less than 10 minutes! Toss in a bag of frozen pre-cut potatoes and a bag of shredded cabbage to cut down on prep time.
- Hot, hearty, and filling, this comfort food recipe is a hit on St. Patrick’s Day but is just as perfect any time of year!
- Make colcannon and serve it straight from the Instant Pot set to the warm setting for potlucks and parties.
Ingredients and Variations
Potatoes – Choose starchy varieties like Yukon Golds or even Russets, leave them unpeeled for a more rustic dish, and save a little time. Got leftover mashed potatoes? Toss them in!
Cabbage – Sauteing the cabbage brings out its sweetness, and kale or even savoy cabbage will work. Red cabbage works but will turn the entire dish pink!
Butter & Cream – Real butter and whole cream guarantee that extra creamy texture. Mix in some sour cream or cubes of cream cheese, if desired.
Extras – Cooked bacon pieces, diced ham, sauteed onions are all deliciously tasty additions to colcannon if available.
How to Make Instant Pot Colcannon Potatoes
- Saute cabbage in oil in the Instant Pot. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add remaining ingredients (per recipe below) seal the lid, and pressure cook for 7 minutes.
- Manually vent the pressure and remove the Instant Pot lid.
- Mash potatoes with butter and season with more salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Keep leftover Instant Pot colcannon covered in the refrigerator for up to two days. Freeze cooled portions in zippered bags for up to two months.
More Potato Recipes
Instant Pot Colcannon Potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups shredded cabbage or kale (about ½ small head)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes peeled and cut into 1" cubes
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons butter divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Heat the Instant Pot using the Saute-High function. Add the olive oil and allow it to heat for a minute.
- Add the cabbage and cook, stirring occasionally, until it has softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the potatoes, water, cream, 2 tablespoons of butter, salt, and pepper. Attach the lid and ensure the valve is in the “sealing” position. Set the Instant Pot to Pressure Cook-Manual for 7 minutes.
- When the timer finishes, release the pressure manually by switching the valve to the “venting” position. Be careful – it will steam!
- Add the remaining butter and mash the potatoes to your desired consistency. I like using an immersion blender to mash potatoes but you can also use a hand masher or stand mixer. Season with additional salt and pepper if needed. Serve hot.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©I Don’t Have Time For That. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
REPIN this Colcannon Potatoes Recipe