Instant Pot mashed sweet potatoes are an essential recipe to make during the holidays!
Creamy, simple, and sweet, this recipe makes the best mashed sweet potatoes… So much better than the typical casserole! Sweet potatoes are mixed with cinnamon, cream, brown sugar, an apple, and melted butter in this easy and flavorful recipe.
Easy Mashed Sweet Potato Recipe!
- It’s easy to cook in 15 minutes or less – including the quick pressure release time.
- The Instant Pot makes food taste delicious. It’s like a fast slow cooker! Imagine all the flavors of slow-cooked food without having to wait for hours. Pressure-cooked food is simply wonderful.
- This recipe keeps the oven free for the turkey and other side dishes like one pan smoked sausage and potatoes or baked chicken wings.
Ingredients and Variations
SWEET POTATOES: Use sweet potatoes or yams for this recipe. Yams are larger in size and sometimes come in different colors like dark red or even purple. Sweet potatoes tend to be longer and smaller, with a sweeter flavor. Add a carrot or two to the mix for a more savory flavor and extra nutrition.
DAIRY: Use real butter and real full fat cream for the best flavor. Add milk for fewer calories than table cream or go for a dairy free alternative like coconut milk or oat milk.
SWEETENERS: A healthy apple adds extra fall flavor and natural sweetness. For a healthy alternative to brown sugar, soak 3-4 pitted dates in water and add them to the Instant Pot. They will blend in with the sweet potatoes when mashed. Or go for maple syrup, agave, or even a low-carb sweetener like monkfruit or stevia.
Let’s Make Mashed Sweet Potatoes in an Instant Pot
It’s so quick and easy to prep and cook this recipe!
- Prepare sweet potatoes and apple, then add to the Instant Pot with water.
- Pressure cook on HIGH (as per recipe below) then quick release for 2-5 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and mash them in a bowl with all the other ingredients.
Season to taste and serve piping hot.
Turn these into a sweet potato casserole by topping with marshmallows and pecans. Bake at 375°F for about 20 minutes or until the marshmallows are golden
Tips for Success
- Try making a sweet potato casserole with pecans and marshmallows on top!
- Be sure to thoroughly drain the sweet potatoes after cooking so that they stay super creamy when mashed.
- Add cream (or milk) in small amounts when mashing to make sure the potatoes retain a good consistency.
- If using salted butter, take care not to over salt when seasoning the potatoes after mashing them.
- Instant Pot sweet potatoes can be made ahead. Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- To freeze, cook potatoes and apple in the Instant Pot, then mash without adding the rest of the ingredients. Store in an airtight container. They will keep for up to 12 months.
- Defrost in the refrigerator overnight, then mix in the other ingredients and reheat in the Instant Pot, microwave, or oven.
More Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Goulash – Savory
- Instant Pot Mongolian Beef – Better than Takeout!
- Instant Pot Bread – Warm and Comforting
- Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff – Filling
- Instant Pot Stuffing – perfect for the holidays
Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 6 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1 apple peeled and chopped
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 tablespoons warmed milk or cream as needed
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅓ cup brown sugar (½ cup if your apple is very tart)
- salt to taste
- Peel potatoes and cut them into 2-inch pieces.
- Place the potatoes and apple into the Instant Pot and add water.
- Lock the Instant Pot lid and ensure the valve is sealed. Cook on HIGH pressure for 9 minutes.
- Quick release the pressure. Drain the potatoes and let them rest in a strainer for 5 minutes.
- Place in a bowl with butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Mash together, adding milk as needed until creamy. Season with salt to taste.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©I Don’t Have Time For That. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Recipe adapted from Spend With Pennies Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes.
REPIN this Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes Recipe