Instant Pot mashed sweet potatoes are an essential recipe during the holidays!
Sweet potatoes are mixed with cinnamon, cream, brown sugar, an apple, and melted butter in this easy and flavorful recipe.
Creamy, simple, and sweet, this recipe makes the best mashed sweet potatoes.
Easy Mashed Sweet Potato Recipe!
- It’s so quick and easy to make, ready in less than 30 minutes – including the quick pressure release time.
- The Instant Pot makes food taste delicious. Imagine all the flavors of slow-cooked food without having to wait for hours. Pressure-cooked food is simply wonderful.
- Free up the oven for the turkey and other side dishes like corn casserole or this delicious loaded potato casserole.
Ingredients and Variations
SWEET POTATOES: Use sweet potatoes or yams for this recipe. Yams are larger in size and sometimes come in different colors like dark red or even purple. Sweet potatoes tend to be longer and smaller, with a sweeter flavor. Add a carrot or two to the mix for a more savory flavor and extra nutrition.
DAIRY: Use real butter and real full-fat cream for the best flavor. Add milk for fewer calories than table cream or go for a dairy-free alternative like coconut milk or oat milk.
SWEETENERS: A healthy apple adds extra fall flavor and natural sweetness. For a healthy alternative to brown sugar, soak 3-4 pitted dates in water and add them to the Instant Pot. They will blend in with the sweet potatoes when mashed. Or go for maple syrup, agave, or even a low-carb sweetener like monkfruit or stevia.
How to Make Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Prepare sweet potatoes and apple, then add to the Instant Pot with water.
- Pressure cook on HIGH (per the recipe below) then quick release the pressure.
- Drain potatoes and mash them in a bowl with all the other ingredients.
Season to taste and serve piping hot.
Tips for Success
Add cream (or milk) in small amounts when mashing, and be sure to thoroughly drain the sweet potatoes after cooking, to make sure the potatoes retain a good consistency. If using salted butter, take care not to over-salt when seasoning the potatoes after mashing them.
How to Store Leftovers
Instant Pot sweet potatoes can be made ahead.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Freeze cooked mashed potatoes and apples before adding the rest of the ingredients. They will keep for up to 12 months.
- Defrost in the refrigerator overnight, then mix in the other ingredients and reheat in the Instant Pot, microwave, or oven.
Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 6 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1 apple peeled and chopped
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 tablespoons warmed milk or cream as needed
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅓ cup brown sugar (½ cup if your apple is very tart)
- salt to taste
- Peel potatoes and cut them into 2-inch pieces.
- Place the potatoes and apple into the Instant Pot and add water.
- Lock the Instant Pot lid and ensure the valve is sealed. Cook on HIGH pressure for 9 minutes.
- Quick release the pressure. Drain the potatoes and let them rest in a strainer for 5 minutes.
- Place in a bowl with butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Mash together, adding milk as needed until creamy. Season with salt to taste.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©I Don’t Have Time For That. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Recipe adapted from Spend With Pennies Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes