Get a hearty, healthy breakfast on the table in minutes with this recipe for Instant Pot breakfast casserole!
Bread, ham, and cheese are cooked into a fluffy, flavorful casserole that will be a family favorite recipe in no time!
Modify or alter the ingredients with extras or substitutes like hash brown potatoes, sausage, bacon, or tater tots!
Instant Pot Breakfast Casserole
- Save time, counter space, stovetop, and oven space, and let the Instant Pot work its magic for breakfast or brunch!
- This filling casserole is budget-friendly, use up leftover meats and veggies!
- It’s perfect for larger groups and making it in the Instant Pot means it’s easy to transport!
- So many ways to switch up the ingredients!
- Make it keto by omitting the bread and replacing it with an assortment of steamed veggies.
Ingredients and Variations
BREAD: Bread soaks up the savory milk mixture and creates the base for this breakfast casserole. But, a layer of shredded hash browns, tater tots, or even leftover mashed potatoes is a delicious switch!
EGGS: Use large whole, fresh eggs and whole milk for the best flavor! For extra protein, toss in an extra egg white or two!
MEAT: Ham and eggs go so well together! But chopped-up pieces of sausage links, or cooked bacon pieces, or even thin-sliced summer sausage will make this a new recipe every time!
VEGGIES: Peppers and onions are perfect partners for color and crunch in a breakfast casserole! Slide in extra veggies like zucchini, mushrooms, or diced tomatoes for pickier eaters!
How to Make Breakfast Casserole in an Instant Pot
- Place buttered bread cubes on the bottom of a casserole dish followed by the ham, cheese, and diced bell pepper (as described in the recipe below).
- Whisk the remaining ingredients together and pour evenly over the bread mixture.
- Place the trivet in the Instant Pot and add water. Cover the casserole and cook on HIGH for 25 minutes.
- Release the pressure, remove the casserole, uncover, and serve.
- Keep leftover Instant Pot breakfast casserole covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Reheat portions in the microwave (for best results, add a small bowl of water to the microwave so it creates steam which will make the casserole fluffy again).
Instant Pot Breakfast Casserole
- 8 ounce small loaf of sourdough bread or about 3-4 thick slices
- 3 tbsp butter softened
- 8 ounces ham cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ red pepper diced
- 1 green onion sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- Grease a 6.5 inch pan with cooking spray.
- Spread one side of the bread with butter and cut into 1-inch cubes. Place bread on the bottom of the pan followed by ham, cheese, and red pepper.
- In a medium bowl beat eggs, milk, green onions, mustard powder, salt, and pepper and pour over bread mixture.
- Add one cup of water to the Instant Pot and set in the trivet.
- Cover the casserole with foil.
- Place the breakfast casserole on the trivet and set the Instant Pot to manual high pressure for 25 minutes.
- When timer is up, allow for a 20 minute natural pressure release.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©I Don’t Have Time For That. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
REPIN this Breakfast Casserole Recipe!