This Instant Pot yogurt recipe is so easy to make, store-bought yogurt will be a thing of the past!
Perfect for smoothies, overnight oats, frozen treats, or just mixed with fruit and granola, making homemade yogurt only takes milk, plain yogurt, and a press of a button!
Easy Instant Pot Yogurt
- Use the Instant pot “yogurt” setting to make healthy overnight yogurt for far less money than the store brands!
- Fun to make, cost-effective, and delicious, homemade yogurt is made without artificial colors, flavorings, and preservatives.
- Easy to double to enjoy all week!
- Making yogurt in the Instant Pot lets you create a smooth, creamy texture, or a thicker Greek-style blend.
Ingredients in Instant Pot Yogurt
MILK: This recipe calls for organic, whole milk because the milkfats deliver the best flavor and the thickest, creamiest texture, however, feel free to use any milk you like.
YOGURT CULTURE: Also known as a ‘starter,’ look for plain yogurt with “live cultures” on the label. You can use a fresh starter or reserve some starter from the yogurt made up to 3 times before the quality starts to fade.
How to Make Yogurt in an Instant Pot
- Pour cold milk into the sterilized and vented Instant Pot (as per the instructions below), and press the yogurt button twice until the screen reads boil.
- Use a thermometer to check the temperature.
- Allow yogurt to cool to the proper temperature as directed, then whisk in live culture yogurt.
- Close Instant Pot and press the yogurt button once – it will default to 8 hours.
- Remove yogurt and chill before serving.
How to Store Homemade Yogurt
Transfer homemade yogurt to an airtight container and enjoy it within 7 days.
More Breakfast Recipes
Instant Pot Yogurt
- ½ gallon organic whole milk
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt (with live cultures) *see notes
- Ensure that the Instant Pot insert and rubber seal are clean and do not smell. The yogurt will take on the taste of any smell in the Instant Pot!
- Add the milk to the pot and attach the lid with the valve in the “Venting” position. Press the “Yogurt” button twice, or until the screen displays “Boil”.
- Allow the Instant Pot to boil the milk to remove any dangerous bacteria. Once the Instant Pot has finished, it will beep. Remove the lid and add a thermometer to the pot. The temperature should be at least 180°F. If it is not, replace the lid and complete the boil cycle again.
- If the milk is at least 180°F, allow it to sit until the temperature reaches 100-110°F. This should take about one hour. To speed up the process, set the instant pot in a bowl of ice water and stir with a clean, sanitized spoon until the milk is at the correct temperature.
- Once the milk is 100-110°F, add the yogurt and whisk to combine.
- Once the yogurt has been incorporated, return the insert to the Instant Pot, attach the lid, and set the setting to “Yogurt” by pressing the button once. It should default to 8 hours but if it doesn't, make sure to use the plus and minus buttons to adjust the time accordingly.
- Allow the Instant Pot to incubate for 8 hours. Once it is finished, remove the insert from the Instant Pot and allow it to cool to room temperature, about 2 hours.
- Carefully spoon any excess whey (any yellow liquid) from the top of the yogurt and then whisk the yogurt vigorously until smooth.
- Transfer the yogurt to an airtight container and store in the fridge until ready to enjoy. Discard after 7 days.
- To make greek yogurt, place a cheesecloth into a fine mesh strainer set over a large bowl. Add the yogurt to the strainer and allow it to sit in the fridge for 1-2 hours, or until your desired thickness.
- For vanilla yogurt, add vanilla extract (or vanilla bean paste) to taste! I like 2 tablespoons of vanilla per batch.
- This yogurt can be sweetened with honey, maple syrup, agave, or simple syrup.
- To make a fruit yogurt, mix in your favorite jam before serving.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©I Don’t Have Time For That. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
REPIN this Instant Pot Yogurt Recipe