Crockpot sweet potato casserole is rich and creamy with a crunchy pecan topping.
Just like the original, this easy recipe lets the crock pot do all the work! Slow cooker sweet potatoes with the crunchy, toasted pecan topping is an essential side dish at the holidays. It has just the right amount of buttery richness to elevate it above the ordinary but is versatile enough to make for every day.
Easy Holiday Side Dish!
- Slow cooker sweet potato casserole is the time and space-saving solution during the busy holiday season!
- Frozen sweet potatoes (AKA yams) are already prepped and can go straight into the crockpot without thawing. Easy peasy!
- Crock pot sweet potato casserole is not only portable but can be served straight from the crock pot and is always a welcome addition to any holiday gathering!
Ingredients and Variations
SWEET POTATOES: A couple of bags of ready-made frozen sweet potatoes make this recipe a keeper, but fresh sweet potatoes can be used after they are peeled and diced. The cook time might be a little less, however.
SWEETENER: Brown sugar, maple syrup, and honey can be used in place of, or in combination.
SEASONINGS: A little dash of cinnamon brings up the flavor of sweet potatoes, but for an extra savory dish, sprinkle in some pumpkin pie spice.
TOPPINGS: In addition to the chopped pecans, brown sugar, and melted butter, mini marshmallows can be added on top as well, or some festive dried cranberries.
PRO TIP: Toast pecans in a dry saute pan until they are just fragrant. This intensifies their flavor and makes them extra crunchy.
How to make Crockpot Sweet Potato Casserole
Just follow these simple steps.
- Place frozen sweet potatoes on the bottom of a crock pot and add brown sugar, half the butter, and cinnamon (as per recipe below).
- Cover and cook, stirring after one hour.
- Mash sweet potatoes and stir in remaining butter, cream, and season to taste.
- Mix topping ingredients in a bowl and sprinkle over sweet potatoes. Cover and let cook for 5 minutes before serving.
Naturally, this delish dish goes great with Thanksgiving dishes like turkey and gravy, homemade stuffing, or whole chicken. It will fit perfectly with other holiday classics, like stuffing, green bean casserole, and cranberry sauce!
Best Slow Cooker Tips
- For quick and easy cleanup (and easy transfer to a freezer bag), use crockpot liners.
- Keep leftover crockpot sweet potato casserole covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and freeze portions in zippered bags for up to 2 months.
- Reheat on medium heat on the stovetop and season before serving.
More Potato Recipes
- One Pan Smoked Sausage and Potatoes – Simple & Delicious
- Instant Pot Potatoes Au Gratin – Comforting
- Air Fryer Hot Honey Chicken Thighs & Roasted Potatoes – Sticky sweet
- Instant Pot Roasted Loaded Baked Potato Salad – Creamy
- Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes – Perfect for the holidays
- Air Fryer Brown Sugar Sweet Potatoes – A holiday staple
Crockpot Sweet Potato Casserole
- 3 pounds frozen sweet potatoes approx. 9 cups
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup unsalted butter divided
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- salt to taste
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Place the frozen sweet potatoes in a 6 quart slow cooker.
- Add brown sugar, 2 tablespoons butter, and cinnamon.
- Cover the potatoes with the slow cooker lid and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 2.5 - 3 hours or until tender, stirring after 1 hour.
- Mash potatoes until smooth. Stir in 2 tablespoons of butter and cream and season to taste.
- Stir together the topping ingredients in a small bowl. Drizzle topping over the potatoes, cover, and let cook for 5 minutes.
REPIN this Crock Pot Sweet Potato Casserole