Make an air fryer whole chicken with this easy method!
Faster, easier, and fresher than a store-bought rotisserie chicken, whole chicken in the air fryer will be your new favorite way to get tender chicken with crispy, seasoned skin every time!
Amazing Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- The air fryer makes it easy by cooking a whole bird in less time and with minimal cleanup!
- This recipe is perfect for home cooks that are new to air fryers and will find this roasted chicken recipe is just as easy as it is elegant to serve!
- It’s a budget-friendly way to have chicken on hand for meal prep like sandwiches, soups, salads, and wraps all week long!
Ingredients and Variations
Chicken – Refer to your Ninja, NuWave, Corsori, or other air fryer models to determine the right size chicken to use, times, and cooking powers. Most models use a 2–4 pound bird. They should be clean with intact skins and the neck and giblets removed. Frozen chicken can be used by simply adding a few minutes to the cooking time.
Oil – We used olive oil but any oil will work, try using leftover bacon grease for a smoky flavor!
How to Cook a Whole Chicken in the Air Fryer
- Rub the chicken with oil and seasonings.
- Tuck wings under the chicken and roast breast side down (as per recipe instructions below).
- Flip chicken over and cook until a meat thermometer reads 165°F in the thickest place away from the bones, in one of the breast sections.
- Remove and let the chicken rest for about 5 minutes before slicing.
PRO TIP: For best results, always preheat the air fryer before using it.
Keep leftover air fryer whole chicken in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days and freeze portions in zippered bags (preferably with the meat removed from the carcass) for up to 1 month.
Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- 3 ½ pound whole chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- chicken seasoning
- Use a paper towel to pat the chicken dry.
- Drizzle the chicken with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning. Rub to coat the chicken.
- Place the chicken breast-side down into the air fryer basket. Turn the air fryer on to 350°F.
- Cook for 30 minutes, flip the chicken over and cook for an additional 20-30 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer reaches 165°F.
- Remove from the air fryer and rest 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©I Don’t Have Time For That. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
REPIN this Air Fryer Whole Chicken Recipe