Make this Instant Pot cabbage recipe for a quick and flavorful side dish that’s ready in minutes.
Cabbage is cooked with chicken broth until tender and savory, and then buttered, seasoned, and served!
Enjoy delicious cooked cabbage with corned beef, kielbasa, or ham.
The Best Instant Pot Cabbage
- Prepping for pressure cooked cabbage is so easy. Just chop the whole head, pop it into the Instant Pot and wait just five minutes.
- This cabbage recipe tastes great as a side dish or added to soups, stews, or casseroles.
- Budget friendly cabbage is super healthy and one of the most economical vegetables you can buy!
- This recipe is the perfect dish for a traditional St. Patrick’s Day corned beef dinner, and so much more flavorful than just boiling in salted water.
Ingredients & Variations
Cabbage – Look for fresh green cabbage free of spots. Buy it on sale for future meals because it will remain fresh in the refrigerator for weeks! Savoy cabbage is an option, but has a milder flavor.
Broth – Chicken broth gives the best flavor. Boullion can be used, as well as beef broth, or vegetable broth.
Seasonings – Melted butter, salt, and pepper are all that is needed for this uncomplicated dish. Brown the butter if you prefer a nuttier taste.
Variations – For vegetarians, cook the cabbage in water or vegetable broth. Sprinkle with vinegar for a tart and zesty taste. Add some herbal notes with chopped dill weed or caraway seeds. Cook with carrots, baby potatoes, or add garlic, onions, or celery to the pot. Toss Instant Pot cabbage into a pan with smoked sausage and potatoes, or serve it over rice or noodles.
How to Cook Cabbage in the Instant Pot
- Place chopped cabbage in the Instant Pot with chicken broth and seasonings, as described in the recipe below.
- Set timer to 5 minutes at high pressure.
- When the alarm beeps, manually release the pressure.
- Open the pot and add butter and seasonings.
Tips & Tricks
- Do not overcook. Be sure to (carefully!) release pressure when the signal goes off.
- Store leftovers in zip bags in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Add leftovers to stuffed pepper soup, beef and beer stew, or this potato casserole.
Instant Pot Cabbage
- 1 small head green cabbage chopped in 1" pieces
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper or to taste
- Add cabbage and chicken broth to the instant pot.
- Lock lid and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Carefully quick release the pressure.
- Stir butter, salt and pepper into the cabbage until butter is melted.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©I Don’t Have Time For That. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.